Friday 6 July 2012

Encouragement

This past week we have had our school's prize giving evening and when my children were called up for prizes I whooped and hollered for all I was worth.

Perhaps I make a fool out of myself but I figure I've only got a few of these evening's before they leave school and I want to make them count.  I want them to know that I am their number one fan.  I want them to know that I think they're great.  I want them to know I am proud of them.  I want them to know that I am not ashamed to make a fool out of myself for them.

Some people commented to me that I might embarrass my children by doing this (which I confess seemed very odd to me that letting everyone know how much I think of them would embarrass them - but I'm not always known for my sensitivity).  So I checked with my children and the radiant faces they gave me as we talked about this spoke more than their words.

When I was a teacher (many years ago) there was a lad in my form group who was just so delightful.  Kind, helpful, keen.  Everything you would want a student to be.  So I asked his parents what was their secret.  And they said; "we take every opportunity to encourage him". 

I want to do that I want to put courage in my children.  I never want them to doubt that I am 100% for them.  And I want to write this to remind myself not to forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment